Lubricated, Comfortable Eyes With an Eye Exam in Columbus Ohio
If your eyes consistently lack in moisture and lubrication on the surface, you may deal with a condition referred to as dry eye syndrome. Your symptoms may range from minor discomfort and irritation to eye infections and corneal inflammation. Here at Grove City Vision Center, we offer you an eye exam in Columbus Ohio that guarantees your eyes are healthy.
Dry Eye Causes
Dry eyes can be caused by a number of things, but the basic idea is that the moisturizing tear glands don’t produce enough tears. It can also be that the chemical composition of the tears makes them evaporate before they can do their job. Dry eye syndrome can also be caused by:
- Living in a dusty, windy, dry climate with low humidity
- Certain medications like antidepressants, blood pressure medicines, birth control pills, antihistamines and Parkinson’s medications
- The natural aging process, and dry eye is more common in women over the age of 40
- Insufficient blinking, particularly if your job requires you to look at a computer all day
- A dry air conditioner or heating system in your home or office
There are many things that can cause dry eyes, and the diagnosis and treatment varies from patient to patient.
Treatment for Dry Eyes
Dry eye syndrome can be a chronic condition that can’t necessarily be cured. Typically, an effort is made to manage the symptoms rather than cure the problems. Some common treatments include:
- Artificial tears from eye drops
- Prescription eye drops
- Steroids for short term relief
- Insert filled with lubricating solution
We also encourage you to wear sunglasses when outside, and keep a clean air filter to keep dust out of the air that may irritate your eyes. A humidifier may also help to keep the air moist.